- The Development Research Division (DRD) of the DAAD-funded South African-German Centre for Development Research and Criminal Justice at the University of Western Cape (UWC) offers talented students the opportunity to be transformed into development-minded leaders.
- The DRD offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year targeting applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record.
- Based at the African Excellence Centre at the University of the Western Cape, the DRD aims to prepare a new generation of leaders who are ready to tackle the economic, social and political challenges that arise from the development process.
- University of Western Cape, South Africa
- Ruhr-University, Bochum, Germany
Field(s) of Study:
Scholarships are available for full-time students in the following fields:
- Master of Arts (MA) in Development Studies
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Arts (MA) in Development Management (Bochum Program)
- The different PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC)
What does the scholarship cover?
- Scholarships include monthly allowances of €650 plus travel allowances for Master candidates and €900 plus travel allowances for PhD candidates.
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- Applications are invited from residents of Sub-Saharan Africa
Am I Eligible to Apply?
Requirements and procedure for application are as follows:
- Scholarship applicants are advised to study the specific entry requirements and course application procedure for the program of their choice. The information is available from the respective program sections. In addition to program requirements, all applicants have to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants should be from Sub-Saharan Africa
- Applicants should have an outstanding academic record – at least 70% for your previous degree
- Applicants should apply within 3 years of having completed their previous degree
- The study must have been completed at an internationally recognized university
- The previous degree (Baccalaureus or Master) should be in an academic discipline related to Development Studies or Public Administration
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters Degree course. Other students need the equivalent of a 4-year undergraduate degree
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken, from a TOEFL test or a similar standard test. A letter from an academic institution is also acceptable.
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest improves your chances of acceptance.
- Women are encouraged to apply
- South African students are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- Candidates for the MPA, MA in Development Studies and PhD programs have to submit an electronic application form. This form is only available on the website from mid-April to 15th
- Candidates for the MA in Development Management (MADM) submit a different application form, submitted by 31 December 2017.
- Each application must contain:
- A letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae (using the Europass format)
- Academic transcripts from your last university
- Certified copies of all academic certificates
- MA applicants are required to write a one-page paper on either of four suggested topics
- PhD applicants are required to submit a six-page proposal on the research they would want to undertake for their thesis. The proposal should include the research question, research methodology and a provisional theoretical framework.
- A signed academic or professional reference
- Note that applications that are not in the e-format will not be considered. Also, make sure that your application is complete before submission.
- MA in Development Studies (deadline 15 July 2017, online application platform will be available from April 2017)
- Master in Public Administration(deadline 15 July 2017, online application platform will be available from April 2017)
- MA in Development Management(Bochum Programme, deadline 31 December 2017)
(separate online application platform, access, and guidelines via “How to apply” section of the Bochum programme or via the course homepage)
- PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC)(next deadline 15 July 2017, online application platform will be available from April 2017)
How do I get more information?
- Free Scholarships – Click Here
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/undergrad/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/graduatemasters/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum
Incoming search terms:
- university of the western cape daad scholarship