- This prestigious scholarship program targets exceptionally talented Master’s students from outside Europe.
- The University of Amsterdam (UvA) aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its classrooms.
- Outstanding students from outside the EU/EEA can apply for the Amsterdam Merit Scholarship (AMS).
- The University of Amsterdam
- This University has its origins in the Athenaeum Illustre (1632) and, has almost 30,000 students, over 5,000 employees and an annual budget of 600 million Euros. It is one of the largest general research universities in Europe.
Field(s) of Study
The faculties and graduate schools award scholarships themselves; and as such, regulations may vary. Students interested in an Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship may contact the department or international school offering the study program of their choice for more information.
- College of Economics and Business – Economics and Business scholarships
- College of Communications – Social and Behavioral Sciences scholarships (Bachelor of Communication)
What does the scholarship cover?
- The scholarship covers an amount equal to the tuition fee for the duration of the study program, of around €6000.
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- Outstanding students from outside the EU/EEA
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Hold a non-EU/EEA passport
- Have applied for a degree program at UvA
- Have above average academic results, and be in the top 10% of your class
- Not be entitled to receive a Dutch study grant or loan
- Not received a full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the AMS scholarship
- Have submitted a completed application to the Bachelor of Science program at the college of Economics and Business, or Bachelor of Communication Science. This application must include an English test score.
- Have been (or will be) admitted to one of the BSc programs in the College of Economics and Business or Bachelor of Communication Science.
- Be in a position to comply with the conditions for obtaining a Dutch visa (if applicable)
- Be enrolled at UvA as full-time scholar for the academic year and program for which the scholarship is to be awarded
- Never have studied at any educational institution in the Netherlands
- Be a motivated student who excels in extracurricular activities
- Have exceptional English language skills, with proof from test results that are a maximum of 2 years old. You must have either TOEFL (score- 100), IELTS (7), CAE Grade A or CPE Grade C.
How do I Apply – Next Steps
- Apply to the University of Amsterdam, to the Admissions office of the Graduate Schools. Specific instructions are listed on the faculty pages.
- For the College of Economics and Business:
- You must write an AMS motivation letter (300 words outlining your motivation to get the AMS scholarship)
- Upload the AMS digital motivation letter to the online application portal
- For the College of Communication:
- Apply for the scholarship via post before the deadline. Send to the address below:
College of Communication
Admissions Office (C7.02)
Postbus 15796 1001 NG Amsterdam
- A complete application should have the following documents in this order (not stapled).
- AMS application form
- Proof of belonging to the top 10% of your class, in the form of a statement indicating your ranking. This statement should be signed by the dean or an official from the examinations board.
- Certified grade transcripts, including a GPA score
- An application letter in which the applicant explains the reasons for selecting the specific program, and for applying for the scholarship, as well as why they consider themselves as outstanding students.
- A current Curriculum Vitae
- English proficiency test scores
- A detailed description of extracurricular activities, such as participation in student committees, sports or music at a high level, international experience, volunteer work, etc
- For the College of Economics and Business, the deadline is course dependent. The scholarship application is due at the same time as that for the study program.
- For the College of Communication, 15 January 2018
- Applicants will get their results via email by the end of May.
How do I get more information?
- Website – http://www.uva.nl/en/education/bachelor-s/scholarships–tuition/scholarships-and-loans/amsterdam-merit-scholarship/amsterdam-merit-scholarship.html
- Free Scholarships – Click Here
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/undergrad/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/graduatemasters/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum