- The University of British Columbia (UBC) has co-operated with the MasterCard Foundation to foster the next generation of African leaders.
- These scholarships target individuals from Sub-Saharan Africa who are academically talented but face economic disadvantages that prevent them from getting access to relevant and high-quality university education.
- After graduation, the MCF scholars use their experience and learning to contribute to economic growth and social development in their home countries.
- Recipients of this scholarship will get to benefit from the exceptional learning environment at UBC, one that fosters global citizenship, supports outstanding research and advances a sustainable society.
- University of British Columbia, Canada
Fields of Study
- Economics, business, forestry, computer science, sustainability and environmental science, and engineering.
What does the scholarship cover?
The MCFSP at UBC covers:
- Travel costs
- Tuition and all related expenses
- Housing, food and other living expenses
How many scholarships are given?
- 112 students will receive funding from the MasterCard Foundation over a ten-year period (77 undergraduate and 35 masters degree scholarships).
Which countries are targeted?
- Students from Sub-Saharan Africa
Am I Eligible to Apply?
- For both the undergraduate and graduate programs, one must be a first-time applicant who is resident in, and a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. The applicant’s permanent residence must be in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Applicants for the undergraduate program must:
- Demonstrate economically disadvantaged financial circumstances that correspond to those of the two lowest income brackets of their home countries
- Be able to prove that they lack the necessary financial means to further their university education
- Have a strong academic record (As)
- Fulfill UBC’s admission requirements, which includes UBC’s English Language Admission Standards
- Have an excellent record of extra-curricular involvement, service, and leadership in their school and community
- Be about to graduate, or have recently graduated from a recognized senior secondary school
- Be applying for an undergraduate degree (first- time applicant) at one of UBC’s faculties at the Vancouver campus as listed below:
- Faculty of Arts (Bachelor of Arts)
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Science
- Vancouver School of Economics (Bachelor of International Economics)
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems (including Global Resource Systems, Applied Biology, Food and the Environment, Applied Animal Biology, Nutrition and Health, Food, Applied Plant and Soil Sciences)
- Faculty of Applied Science (Engineering)
- Sauder School of Business (Bachelor of Commerce)
- Be an international student who will study at UBC on a Canadian Study Permit
- Show commitment to returning to Africa after graduating and giving back to his/her community, thus enhancing social transformation and economic development.
Applicants for the graduate program must:
- Have a bachelor’s degree
- Be a citizen and preferably a resident of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Present economically disadvantaged circumstances that stand in the way of pursuing graduate education in one’s home country or elsewhere. One should be able to show a lack of financial means from family and other sources.
- Have achieved academic excellence under challenging circumstances
- Show leadership potential
- Demonstrate an interest in giving back to one’s community with the aim of enhancing economic growth development. One must also be committed to engaging in activities through one’s current profession, community or university that will benefit their home countries.
- Be applying for a Master’s degree (first- time applicant) at one of UBC’s faculties at the Vancouver campus as listed below:
- Sauder School of Business – Full-time MBA program
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems – Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE), Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS), Master of Food Science (MFS)
- Faculty of Medicine – Masters in Population and Public Health (MPPH)
- Faculty of Forestry – Master of Science (MSC), Master of International Forestry (MIF), Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM), Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM),
- Faculty of Education – Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (M.Ed), Masters of Science Education (M.Ed), Masters of Higher Education (M.Ed)
- Be an individual who requires a Canadian study permit to pursue studies in Canada
- Be committed to returning to Africa immediately after graduating, so that they can apply their new skills and training for the benefit of their community.
How do I Apply- Next Steps
- Undergraduate students must be nominated for the scholarship by a high school or non-profit organization.
- Each nominee must also complete an online application for academic admission at UBC and an undergraduate MCFSP application.
- Graduate students from Sub-Saharan Africa who qualify for the scholarship need to fill in an application package for admission into one of the faculties listed above.
- More information on how to apply for the MCFSP is available on the UBC website.
- Graduate applicants who did their bachelor’s degree in a language other than English must make arrangements to take an English Proficiency Exam (IELTS or TOEFL) and have the results sent directly to UBC.
- Graduate applicants should apply to MCFSP before applying to UBC.
- All undergraduate applications must be accompanied by:
- Transcripts (in the language of instruction). If the original transcripts are NOT in French or English, a certified translation MUST be attached
- Official test scores for English Language Proficiency – should be sent directly to UBC, and received by January 31, 2018
- All MCFSP applications should be received by Nov 17, 2017.
- This date applies to both undergraduate nominations and graduate applications.
How do I get more information?
- Website: http://mcfscholars.ubc.ca/
- Free Scholarships – Click Here
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/undergrad/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/graduatemasters/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum