MEXT Undergraduate Scholarships
- The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) in Japan offers undergraduate scholarships to Australian citizens who wish to study at Japanese universities.
- Other categories of scholarships include research scholarships, teacher training and Japanese studies.
- The undergraduate scholarship is offered for 5 years, and includes one preparation year in which recipients study the Japanese language.
- Japanese Universities
Field(s) of Study
- Social Sciences, Humanities and Natural Sciences
What does the scholarship cover?
Recipients of this scholarship receive:
- All tuition fees
- Return airfare
- An allowance of ¥117,000 per month
- Healthcare insurance
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- Australian citizens
Am I Eligible to Apply?
All applicants for this fellowship must:
- Have been born between 2 April 1994 and 1 April 2002
- Hold Australian citizenship
- Have completed Year 12 or reached an equivalent matriculation standard by December 2018
- Take examinations in Mathematics, English, and Japanese. Those planning to do Natural Sciences must take examinations in Physics, Chemistry or Biology in addition to the other three subjects.
- Have an Australian passport or birth certificate
- Submit a health certificate in the prescribed format signed by a physician
How Do I Apply – Next Steps
- Applications should be sent to the Embassy of Japan in Canberra by post (preferably Express Post)
- All examinations and interviews will be conducted at the embassy in Canberra, and at the Consulate-Generals of Japan in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Other examination locations may however be considered after applications are reviewed.
- The Japanese diplomatic missions conduct the First Screening of applicants – submitted applications documents are examined, written academic examinations are administered, and interviews are conducted.
- Applicants who pass the First Screening will be recommended to MEXT. MEXT then conducts the Second Screening of these applicants, and decide who receives the scholarships. Candidates are selected for each field of study.
- The selection results are released by the end of January of the year of arrival in Japan to commence studies.
- The application deadline is 11 June 2018 at 17:00 AEST.
How do I get more information?
- Free Scholarships – Click Here
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/undergrad/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/graduatemasters/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum