- The Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS) is an initiative by the Malaysian Government to attract the best brains from around the world to pursue advanced academic studies in Malaysia. This scholarship aims to support the Malaysian Government’s effort to attract, motivate and retain talented human capital from abroad.
- Talented international students with excellent academic records and outstanding co-curricular backgrounds are welcome to apply for this scholarship and further their studies in selected and well-established Malaysian public and private universities.
- This scholarship is divided into two (2) categories of study; Postgraduate and Post-Doctoral Studies
Studies are undertaken in Malaysia, at the following universities.
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM)
- Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (UIAM/IIUM)
- Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM)
- Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka (UTEM)
- Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM)
- Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI)
- Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT)
- Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS)
- Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP)
- Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UNIMAP)
- Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (UNISZA)
- Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia (UPNM)
- Universiti Malaysia Kelantan (UMK)
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
- Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN)
- Multimedia University (MMU)
- International Centre for Education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF)
Fields of Study
Applicants at Master’s and PhD level may choose any course related to the following areas:
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Science and Engineering
- Information and Communication Technology
- Economics and Islamic Finance
- Biosecurity and Food Safety
- Environmental Studies
- Infrastructure and Utility
- Health, not including clinical pharmacy, nursing, and medicine
What does the scholarship cover?
Each scholarship covers: –
- Air tickets from recipient’s capital city to Malaysia
- All approved tuition fees
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Annual grant for books and internal travel
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Installation and Termination grant
- Thesis allowance
- Conference travel grant and journal publication grant (for Post-Doctoral and PhD students only)
How many scholarships are given?
- Not stated
Which countries are targeted?
- All international students with excellent academic records and outstanding co-curricular backgrounds are welcome to apply.
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To be eligible for Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS), applicants must fit the following criteria: –
- Not be more than 40 years (Postgraduate) and 45 years (Post-Doctoral) of age during application.
- Have a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Master’s Degree applicants and for PhD candidates possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or an excellent result at Masters degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study. In addition, for the post-doctoral program, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non-refereed journals, portfolio, and patent copyright. The Post-Doctoral candidate must have an excellent reputation in research and possess knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
- Have taken one of the following English Language Proficiency
Test not more than two years before the date of application. The tests and
minimum scores required are:
- IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6.5; or
- TOEFL paper-based test with a score of at least 580 or computer-based test with a score of at least 230 or internet-based test with a score at least 92.
- Be in excellent health, certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants.
- Have written a proposal that is relevant to the field of studies.
- Have applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with a university in Malaysia).
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria: –
- A high level of academic achievement
- The quality of the research proposal and its potential contribution towards the advancement of technology and human well-being.
- Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in the English Language
How Do I Apply – Next Steps
- All applications should be made ONLINE, through the Ministry of Higher Education’s portal
- Register your Passport Number or National Identification Number, email address and password.
- Log in to the online application form and fill in all the sections fully and correctly.
- Ensure that all the information in the form is correct before you print it out and log out.
- Attach the following documents to the printed application form.
- A recent passport size photo
- A certified copy of your current passport showing evidence of your citizenship
- A complete medical report
- A certified copy of your academic transcript, testimonials and references relating the relevant study, co-curricular activities, and achievements
- A certified copy of an English language proficiency certificate (TOEFL or IELTS)
- A clear research plan or study
- A curriculum vitae
- An admission letter from a Malaysian University
- Two letters of recommendation from two people who qualify as referees to support your application
- An endorsement form
- To get the endorsement form, take the printed application form and required documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Malaysia or the relevant agency responsible for the MIS scholarship in your country.
- Scan all the documents listed above in PDF format and then log in to the MIS online application system.
- Open your application, attach the documents and then submit it. You will then see a notification message indicating that the process is complete.
- Carry a hard copy of the application form and your original certificates to the interview session.
- 31 March 2019
How do I get more information?
- Free Scholarships – Click Here
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/undergrad/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/graduatemasters/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum