- The Joint Japan/ World Bank Graduate Scholarships are open to men and women from developing countries who have relevant professional experience and a commitment to supporting their countries’ development efforts.
- Applications are invited for master’s degree programs focusing on development-related topics.
- Study at selected universities in the United States, Africa and Japan
Field(s) of Study
- 200 Preferred programs and 14 Partner programs in key areas of development, including tax policy, policy management, and infrastructure management.
What does the scholarship cover?
- Economy class air travel from one’s home country to the host university at the beginning and end of the scholarship period
- A US$ 500 travel allowance for each trip
- Tuition for the graduate program
- The cost of basic medical insurance obtained through the university
- A monthly stipend to cover all living expenses (accommodation, food, books, etc.) This amount depends on the host country.
How many scholarships are given?
- Since 1987, 5800 mid-career professionals from developing countries and Japan have completed graduate degrees in development-related fields.
Which countries are targeted?
- International students from developing countries
Am I Eligible to Apply?
To qualify for this scholarship:
- You must be a national of a World Bank developing country
- You must be in good health
- You should not hold dual citizenship of any developed country
- You must hold a Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree earned at least three years before the application deadline date
- You must have 3 years or more of recent development-related work experience after earning a bachelor’s degree
- You must be employed in a development-related area in a paid full-time position at the time of submitting the scholarship application
- You must be admitted unconditionally (except for funding) for the upcoming academic year to at least one of the preferred master’s programs located/offered outside your country of citizenship or residence.
- You must not have any appointment at the World Bank Group or have a close relative employed there.
How to Apply – Next Steps
- Applicants can apply for scholarship opportunities to both the Preferred and Partner Programs. The application process for each is however different.
- Partner Programs
- First, apply for admission to one or more of the Partner Master’s Degree Programs.
- After reviewing all the applications, the Partner Master Degree Program will shortlist eligible candidates who will be invited by the JJWBGSP Secretariat to apply for a scholarship.
- Preferred Programs
- First, apply directly to one or more of the Preferred Programs and receive unconditional application before submitting a JJWBGSP scholarship application after an open call is issued.
- Once applications open, potential candidates can view preferred programs, application guidelines, eligibility criteria and the online application process.
- Application is then completed online. It should include two professional references, as well as an unconditional letter of admission from the preferred master’s degree program.
- Applicants who submit more than one application will be disqualified.
- For preferred programs, letters of admission must be submitted before the scholarship application deadline
- If the applicant is admitted to several programs, he or she must choose the program to attend with scholarship funding before submitting the scholarship application.
There are four main factors considered when choosing candidates for this program; candidates who have the highest potential to impact development in their home countries.
- Quality of professional experience (30%)
- Quality of Professional Recommendations (30%)
- Quality of Commitment to Home Country (30%)
- Quality of Educational Background (10%)
Applications open on March 7 2019, and close on April 11 2019.
How do I get more information?
- Free Scholarships – Click Here
- Top Undergrad Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/undergrad/
- Top Graduate Scholarships – http://www.myinternationalscholarships.com/category/level-of-study/graduatemasters/
- GOT QUESTIONS – Join the Discussion at our Forum